Sunday, March 18, 2012

WORK IN PROGRESS #3

These images are quite different from my other sets of images.  I’m trying to evoke a fleeting landscape.  I feel that this urbanized environment is why we must replicate nature in our front yards.  Through exploring our concrete and developed world, I hope to depict the lack of the native natural world in our everyday lives.

 

I wanted this first image to be a bright and sunny image.  I feel that the warmer, lighter tones convey something different within this image.  I wanted the plant to appear like it was basking in the sun, surrounded by concrete.  I purposely created a warmer color cast to achieve this purpose.   After printing the image I am seeing a lighter spot in the middle foreground of the image that I would like to work on furthermore, it appears a bit distracting.
The second image was intended to contrast the warm colors of the first image.  I wanted to see how I and the viewer might react to a darker and cooler image.  With the cooler color cast, a sense of isolation is starting to surface within the image.  The bluer tones create a less natural hue to the image, highlighting the concrete texture and vastness.  I would like to emphasize the yellow color in the flowers a bit more within this photo.  It also might be interesting if the edges were blurred a bit more.

2 comments:

Dawn Roe said...

I think today's critique went well for you, Taylor. Your peers are becoming involved in the process of questioning that you are prompting through your treatment and selection of images. Complex ideas are difficult to address simply, and I think you are beginning to veer into territory that at first may seem disparate, but will ultimately come together nicely in the end. I appreciate how very different the week image feels when it is either withered by the sun or heavy with blue tone - you can certainly use this kind of formal device to your advantage. Keep pinning in the prints up together so that you can continue to see how they relate to one another. Don't be discouraged, be invigorated - I think this is going well!

Dawn Roe said...

(Um, that should say "weed" image, not week - sorry!)