Sunday, February 12, 2012

GOOGLE READER RESPONSE #3

This week I'm really interested in the work by Aline Smithson.  Her series entitled "Converging Conversations" is a fantastic combination of portrait, landscape, and still life photography. I feel that the photographer is taking particular interest in colors when pairing these photos together. It is obvious that the colors are very similar even though the environments in the pictures are very different, providing a great dichotomy between the images.




Aline Smithson

The LENSCRATCH blog post about Aline Smithson is a great post, I feel I gain more from the photos when artists statements and ideas are presented with the images. I felt I really understood the point she was trying to get across with her quote saying, " I tend to make work that tells stories, but I have been also shooting images that are non-specific, more about color or gesture or emotion--I have been thinking about those moments when you are lost in thought, yet not really thinking about anything...". These pictures are interesting because they do invoke a feeling of gazing off and I feel she has successfully represented this tendency through her capture of color and use of framing.

No comments: