Saturday, February 4, 2012

GOOGLE READER RESPONSE #2

Looking at my google reader this week, I found some great photos.

My favorite of the week is this absolutely stunning photo by Wendy Given called "I Am That Merry Wanderer of the Night"

Wendy Given  FLAKPHOTO.COM
 I think this photo catches my eye because of how the snow is illuminated and glowing in the dark, shaded trees. Looking furthermore into this collection of photos titled "How to Explain Magic to a Dead Rabbit"  you can see that she is exploring the role of story-tale fantasy and magic in her photographs.  Her use of natural settings in this series is very interesting.

Moving on from there, I found some work by Meike Nixdorf. These photos are of landscapes with an  atmospheric haze that is quite interesting.  The colors are very different in these photos, they seem vintage and have a warm tone,  the photos also appear to be manipulated and/or pieced together (especially with the mountains in the background.)

Meike Nixdorf  HEYHOTSHOT.COM
The only complaint I have about this artist is the statement for the series.  To me, it doesn't really say much about the artwork, it just wanders around this idea of the work resembling pieces of a puzzle.

Neither of these blogs had an interview with the artist.  I feel information about the artists and the collection should be on the blogs with these photos.  I really do enjoy getting to know the artists more personally with interviews as well.

No comments: