Sunday, January 29, 2012

READING DISCUSSION CHAPTER 1

This chapter explores many ideas surrounding the evolving medium of photography.  At first, I was interested in how the chapter explains that photographs were first valued for their "absolute material accuracy". I feel in this technology era, this accuracy and truthfulness of photography has been lost.  Further in the chapter, the author goes into detail about the theory of photography.  In this section I was intrigued by the notion that there is always implicit theory in the photograph, and it's just a matter if it has been acknowledged or not.

I look forward to discussing the idea of a photograph as a testament and how our society has become extremely reliant on the photograph. I like the idea that photography is more than art, we can get a glimpse into the past through historical and socially significant photographs and historians can use this to their advantage. I find it so interesting that landscape photography was first started out as civil and military mapping. This also led me into thinking about how photography can be used in my major field of Environmental Studies, with photography we can map the landscape and identify the changes over time to the environment, mainly through aerial photography.

No comments: